View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Default First Impressions - K&N Panel Filter in LS 2.0

There has been plenty of talk on here about fitting the K&N 57i Cone Filter setup on the LS/LT/LV Duratec. Thought I would share my inital impressions with the K&N Panel Filter - I haven't tried the 57i kit so can't really compare...

Ordered mine off eBay for AU$75 to my door from the US, which I thought was pretty reasonable. Really easy to fit - used a hose clamp to replace the tamperproof seal. Only mod required is to cut off a small lug that's on the connecting tube between the airbox and the throttle body. Noticed the K&N is a lot thinner than the stock filter, which obviously explains why it flows so well. Another thing you need to do is to start the car with the airbox unconnected and the throttle body exposed! :

After driving a number of times with the new filter in place, there is definitely a little more poke down low. The intake noise (low airbox removed) is also slightly deeper. I have found it easier to drive in traffic...just seems easier to balance the revs, or maybe I'm just concentrating more??

I'd definitely recommend this mod for anyone looking to keep a stock look. I'd post pics, but nothing (new) to see here. Now I just need to reroute cold air into the airbox which may give another small gain.

Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote