View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #86
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cars you don't see many of anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
The VB crash test on Youtube is not a 'normal' crash test.

I believe that most crash tests are carried out at around 35-40 km/h.

It was done at 100 km/h & also had sandbags added to the boot. It was done to test the facility not the car.

I doubt that the early Commodore was any better or worse (safety wise) than any other medium car of that era.

Dr Terry
What I seen of it on Youtube was that the other cars did well or much better, I was shocked to see the VB like that, not sure if it was a Aussie Commodore or a German one, let alone a 4cyl one.
Maybe a 4cyl commodore would not be as good as a 6cyl.

When the VB came out the first big smash I seen with one, was that it was torn in half. but I have seen other cars much the same a VG Valiant before that was much the same, not to mention Valiants had bonnets that came and chopped your head off, so all things like that got better as the years progressed safety wise over all.
My mates LH Torana was snapped in half hitting a power pole and he walked out of his seat as the whole nose dash and all was gone, lucky he had a harness on.

But as to safety issues well the VB was promoting the avoiding aspect of the RTS ability aspects that shone forth making any Holden from before HX look like rubbish on that point.

I know of many people who rolled their HQ-J-X-Z only to of got out the back window, they were a good strong car, Falcons were crap as to the roof in a rollover.
From the VT Commodore on became a much stronger safer car to be in if you had a bad smash.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote