View Single Post
Old 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM   #29
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: I'm A Car Enthusiast That is Starting to Hate Cars. Here's Why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Why don’t you just do three or four days a week
You know it’s hard to get transport jobs that are not 11 or 12 hours a day.
Four days by 12 hours is 48 hours gives you $
Three days by 12 hours is 36 hours maybe not enough $

If the industry is so short of drivers why don’t you just ask the question?

I know a guy here on the Gc that does one day a week drives a brand new electric on the airport Broadbeach run
Then he does ndis care one day and volunteer driving another day

There is a few ways to skin the cat
Because the minute you tell this mob something they dont want to hear you get put back to the bottom of the pile doing **** work in **** coaches, its the most petulant employer and industry as a whole I've worked in.

I gave them 1 weeks notice 4 weeks ago siting burnout as the reason and said i needed to get away before my frustrations spilled over, they hassled me to stay so by the Thursday I caved in. Spent a week away in Victor Harbor with a school group, took a week off and went back to a week up near Maree with another school group, came back feeling refreshed. Got back to the day to day grind last week and was back doing 12hr shifts by day 2 and 3, bus break downs, copped road rage, by Friday morning I was over it again.
I get why they load me up, in the 12 months I was with them im about the only driver to not put a mark on a coach and as the owner is image concious that compliments him to a T. He actually told me they love me because they can throw anything at me and it gets done right without the constant whinging and issues they get from the others, but everone has their braking point and being that reliable guy has been a rod for my back.

Problem is, the mob I was working for have been buying up all the small operators, keeping the workload whilst selling off the assetts meaning we're covering the work of 6 former operators with only our fleet,. Theres not enough turn around time to do shorter shifts or half days, the coach rolls out at between 6 and 7am for school runs, does charter work all day and expected back for arvo school runs followed by after school sport transfers and we haven't even hit peak yet when summer sports, private charters, cruise season, weddings and wine tours ramp up.

The only upside to what this company has been doing is poaching drivers from other operators as for every driver he gets free's up a seat for me elsewhere.

They we're good to work for, dont get me wrong, but too fast paced and high pressure for what I want in life right now.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: