View Single Post
Old 20-12-2020, 11:23 PM   #134
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Alleged War Crimes by Australian Soldiers

Seems we have learnt nothing since Viet Nam.
Once again soldiers, who put their lives on the line for their country, are being scapegoated by the politicians that sent them.

First and foremost, if you believe somebody has committed a crime, you investigate quietly, then lay charges, and they are tried in the appropriate court, with the right to defend themselves, the ability to confront their accusers, and the presumption of innocence.

War is ****. This kind of war, against an enemy that doesn't wear a uniform and uses women and children, is doubly ****. Bad things happen.

I was offered a job in Afghanistan, working for one of the huge contractors, as a Financial Controller, based on the big base. I jokingly asked if I got to carry a gun, and they informed me that yes I would supplied with a gun, body armour, an armoured vehicle, and a bodyguard/ driver. Just to operate within the base. It was then I realised that this wasn't the great adventure I imagined, and yeah, I chickened out. Oh, and to work on that base, not the front lines, I was going to earn probably 5 times what an experienced soldier does.

Whilst some of the claims just seem fanciful. Ie "executing prisoners in full view of witnesses" I've no doubt that some nasty **** went down.
I would however comfortably predict that it was nothing compared to the atrocities committed by the Taliban. Very few of us could do what the SASR does. I couldn't even be an accountant there, so I refuse to judge them by my standards.
12 users like this post: