View Single Post
Old 12-10-2022, 07:04 PM   #1643
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Question Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I have had a day booked for a few weeks now to have a medical procedure this Friday. This is in the public hospital system, meaning I have been on the waiting list for more than 12 months now and I don't have the luxury of choosing when this procedure is done.

I mentioned today that I may not be able to work on Saturday because of what is happening on Friday, I will be knocked out for this and not meant to drive for 24 hours. I also know I'm not going to be in a headspace to face people all day, yes, I am preempting my mood. I don't mention that to the boss, because he just doesn't understand mental health issues, the "blokes don't get depressed" type of mentality.

I can't believe the attitude I got from him today. I work every Saturday without fail, giving up time with my own family or missing out of things I would like to do so that they can have a weekend off. I covered for this person last year when he decided to take elective surgery at the busiest time of the year, and again when he went and got himself Covid a few months ago. I go to work when I am not feeling great, either physically or mentally, for fear of letting someone down. There are days where I barely function but still do what I have to do.

I'm left with the feeling of guilt and letting the company down for taking two days off for something I NEED to have done so I can come back and continue to work.
I'm sorry that you're in that situation and also that you feel that way, DFB. The only thing I can offer is to remember that your boss is the one with the problem, not you. You shouldn't feel, or be made to feel, guilty because he is the one with the issue. It's obvious he's taking advantage of your willingness to bend over backwards to support him and his business.

It's a tough line to walk: be too accommodating and you could get used. Be too rigid and you could be considered a troublemaker.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: