View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #11
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: TDCi (apparent) head gasket failure

Hi Mondaveo,

I'm siding with Silver Ghia, Cobrin and NZ XR6 because I'm not convinced that what is shown in the photo is a gasket failure.

I'm basing this on what I suspect are fluid tracks on the face of the Head immediately above the gasket to the left of the welch plug. I think the head is an alloy (?) and that would not give the kind of corrosion marks you see on the face of the block.

I'm also thinking that the filaments of the head gasket that are shown protruding would tend to break up a slow fluid flow into a differing pattern on the block face when the fluid finds a path between the gasket filaments.

Keeping an eye on coolant levels is wise advice. I'd expect that you will not see major coolant loss in short periods of use. If that were to occur then it's time to get the timing belt cover off and have another look.

I would not be considering a change of vehicle or a major repair until things got considerably worse than they are now.

I'm betting that the rate of loss, if that is what it is, is so tiny that when the engine is running the fluid evaporates and does no damage. Once the engine is cool enough any fluid remains liquid and causes the tracks until the cooling system pressure equalises with the outside atmosphere, at which point any leak would stop.

Good Luck - if you need it

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: