Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #1525
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Utility mowers, for heavy cutting/slashing…

Thinking a second-hand one might be good to have for my block. I’d chain it up there, under cover. Still some reasonable chance it will be stolen or vandalised, so nothing high-end. Something that can survive on realistic maintenance intervals of 12-18 months.

What might be found second-hand, which approaches this working brief?
Are you talking about a Utility mower or Slasher mower.

I have had a Masport 530 21 inch Utility, it was a trouper. They also make a smaller 460 18 inch version.

The Superswift Big Bob and Bushranger T-Series are offered in the same 18 and 21 inch sizes. Just don't get the Kohler engines.

I also really like the little Victa Mastercut 460. These have been made for decades, I have the 2-stroke but they have been fitted with a variety of Briggs engines too.

If you can find one, a Victa Mulchmaster 560 or the earlier 550 are brilliant. Very stoutly build. I occasionally see 550's offered for sale on Facebook Marketplace, they don't last long because they are pretty well regarded. The newer ones have been fitted with 2-strokes as well as Honda and Briggs engines. I'm pretty sure the 550's were 2-stroke only. With the plug removed, these will both side discharge.

560 -

550 -

If you want something at the next level, you will be looking at a slasher type. Victa made the below up until recently.

Also search Billy Goat or Deutscher.

The trouble with Utility type mowers is they are generally worked till death, so finding a good second hand one will take some time or will need some form of mechanical work.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: