View Single Post
Old 18-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #17
V8Crazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: XR4 3D Printed Centre Caps

Really cool! I love seeing people 3DPrint stuff like this! (I've done quite a few for the Falcon, best unseen one was some pieces to fit the door handles back onto the door cards!

How do you post process your prints? Do you sand them? Fill & Sand? Just lay down filler primer and paint?

With visual prints like this, i try to print them in ABS purely because i can then Acetone smooth them (i just use acetone wet, i'm not keen to do vapor smoothing lol) and with a little bit of plastic filler primer afterwards, i can get some really smooth, almost injection molded looking prints.

With PLA or PETG, I'll use Iron'ing where i can to smooth off the top layers on the printer, then give it all a sand over (i usually use a multi-tool, just to speed up the process and start with fine sand paper, though if i want it looking really nice, i'll go coarse, spread a bit of filler over the big/non fine detail areas then have at the whole lot with fine sand paper). Takes a little time but if its going to be a finishing piece, imo its worth it.

Then i'll use plastic "Filler primer" with a quick sand over with really fine paper, then paint and clear.

One final trick i use when actual painting is to Blend the Spray paint with Polyeurethane "spray", The Poly is sorta thick and "runs" into all the steps and gaps, and if spray the Poly into the spray paint it helps it run into the lines/etc and looks really good

Even prints i don't care to "post process" at all it really smooths out the stepping

Heres a link to some instructions on how to do it (and a video)
https://hackaday.com/2018/06/15/smoo...ith-two-paints
Mods : Capa Vortech V2 SQ Supercharger @ 8psi, 42lb injectors + 2Bar Map, Walbro GSS342 Fuel pump, 2.5" XForce Quadtip Catback Exhaust, 100 Cell Cats, Xforce Stainles Extractors, Complete SuperPro Front & Rear, Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, Oil Catch Can, Braided Hoses & Alloy Watertank, Volt/Oil Pressure/Temp/Boost Guages
V8Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote