View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #152
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4/ST150 with Mazda SP25 engine

So, a little update before I have to move onto other things for a month or so.

Firstly, I have done some things to reset the height of the upper transmission mount. Ultimately I would have to add about 15mm to the height of it. So I put a spacer of that size there for the moment and grabbed a longer bolt to get a feel for it. That 15mm change results in the clearances that I need.

So, with that established, out came the trans again so I could attack the bracket for the upper mount. Like the image above, I marked out what I thought I needed to remove to clear the selector, while minimizing my impact on the strength of the bracket.

My dremel only just squeezed in there, and was taking me quite a lot of time to get through what seems to be 3mm or 4mm metal bracketing. But eventually we had our new notch - even if it wasn't as clean a cut as I would have liked:

Then I lifted the trans back up into place, set to the new height, and checked my selector clearances.

Looks much better now from above:

Reverse/5th

3rd/4th

1st/2nd

SO in summary, we have now completed:

(1) Interior and shifter
(a) Adapter plate for shifter - done
(a) Relocation of the 10mm bull stud to a lower position. (This might also need the 10mm stuf on the selector to be relocated closer to the pivot on the transmission as well, so I don't length the shift-throw too much.) - to be done
(b) Modifications to console - in progress.
(c) Selector cables - in progress. The LT focus cables are about 15cm too long. I have been investigating alternatives. I expect an alternative will need a different abutment bracket on the transmission.

(2) Transmission Upper mount - pretty much done, but would benefit from me making a new one with a higher threaded upright piece.

(3) ABS Module relocation bracket - done. But that too could benefit from some slight re-profiling to better match the residual angle of the ABS module.

(4) Lower engine mount - in progress, but I have the beginning of a plan forming using the Mondeo MkIII torque bush, I just need to fabricate myself a finger-brake using my current vice-tool to fit my 12T press.....

Lukeyson