View Single Post
Old 19-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #74
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta Options not available in Oz

Here's a little ditty of a page regarding electric Focus power steering pumps:

http://www.fokuman.com/component_description-1132.html

Of interest is the comment further down about the Steering Angle Sensor being included invehicles built up to 09/2009. And that modules after that used the CAN bus message for steering!
Could there be 2-connector pumps from Ford in Australia?

Alibaba appears to sell new pumps at $200 USD at a minimum of 1 Unit plus shipping - with only 2 connectors.

The XR5 Focus is around that timeframe crossing LT/LV models, so some early models might have the Steering Sensor, and some later models might not. The LV WOrkshop manual talks about EPS rather that EHPAS so not sure. There are more models ovrseas based on the LV that have the same pump. The Focus C-Max for example. So it looks like the Kuga of the same vintage has that pump too.

I found an XR5T LV Focus pump with only two connectors on eBay for about $100 and snaffled it up. With connector tails, bracket, cutoff fluid connectors - but that model had a separate additional external fluid fill reservoir that isn't included. A nice improvement from the LS/LT Focus, where you had to remove one of the headlights to top it up. So that means we will want to see if CAN messages from the Fiesta can activate the 2-connector pump, AND control the pump RPM via means of Road speed and Steering angle CAN messages.

I am currently in need of some means of playing back the CAN message bus broadcasts from my captures - so I can play them back to the pump and see if rpm changes. I'll keep looking for some thing that uses J2534, but if I don't find anything, I might have to hurry up with this Arduino CAN project. I keep pushing that aside so I can go in the shed and play on the EHPAS and EATC labs...I guess if I can get Arduino going and working right, I'd be able to put in some buttons that let me change values to set RPM manually.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 19-08-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote