View Single Post
Old 19-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #67
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta Options not available in Oz

Awhile back I bought a dash from an Auto Climate Control LS Focus. It had the climate controller, the dash loom and the heater box.

From that I cut out the EATC (Electronic Automatic Climate Control) specific parts of the loom. The LS Focus is a Dual Climate Control system. That gave me the connectors for the sensors for left and right, the actuators for temp left/right, recirc, demist, face/foot, the blower motor and the two main connectors at the back of the EATC module.

The WQ Fiesta EATC module has the same connectors as that on the LS Focus. The LS Focus and the mid LS/LT Cabrio have different EATC modules, but identical wiring. The connectors between the WQ and the LS have an amazing amount of similarities. But there are some differences.

(1) WQ A/C request is a physical wire, LS/LT does it over CAN.

(2) WQ has a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) Motor Controller in place of the standard resistor. The Controller allows for fine blower motor control, as opposed to the resistor which allows 3 only speeds. This then feeds to the standard WQ Blower motor. The LS Focus has this controller embedded in the motor. The COnnector for the WQ Controller and the LS Motor are the same. BUT, while the two high current pins are identical, there are 4 x .64mm pins between them that are used for the control, and these pins are different betweern WQ and LS.

(3) Recirculation control. The WQ actuator for recirculation is a two-position bipolar DC motor. Whicn means the current flows positive or negative depending on whether the recirc is on (Clockwise) or off (Counter Clockwise). The LS Recirc actuator though is like all the others - a unipolar stepper motor. There are 5 pins into these controllers - a common supply, and then 2 x Clockwise steppers and 2 x Counter Clockwise Steppers.

(4) the WQ has a single actuator for face/foot/demist. The LS has one for face/foot left and right, and a seperate actuator for demist.

(5) Dual Zone additions. The WQ actuators map to the Passenger side actuators on the LS. So there are additional actuators for drivers side foot/face and temperature.

I am working from the LS loom at the moment, but am on the lookout for some additional connectors to duplicate the WQ layout so i can do more testing. I built an interface loom to patch power, illumination and the Mid-Speed CAN lines into the LS loom, did a bunch of testing, and then powered it on.

In each case, the illumination turns on in each EATC module. The relevent actuators cycle through their range to calibrate. But i am unable to turn on the module itself. So that puzzled me for awhile. There was mothing come out of the CAN bus either. I did a whole bunch of double checking, and verified that everything is connected to the right pins.

That was a few weeks ago - not long after I did the EHPAS bench test. I've since had a bunch of other chores in my way - steel-topping my bench, rebuilding some storage in the shed, building some undercar exhaust/fuel bla bla bla. I had a number of repairs I'd needed to make to the loom that I found and put off, and more recently have finally wrapped the whole loom in 7mm split conduit - which was a flipping nightmare on it's own. I need a split-loom feeder... The loom conduit made the setup portable without the constant tangling of wires I was getting before.

Today though I finally had some time to roll that solution over to the WQ XR4 anbd plug it in. And instantly all 3 EATC modules fired into life - but only when the Ignition is turned on. So clearly the modules are relying on seeing CAn messages as well before they come alive.

WQ Fiesta Single Zone Climate Control - now alive. And indeed, clicking the foot, face and demist buttons drives the 'Mode' actuator into different locations. i have no recirc control, as to be expected.

This one is the standard LS Focus Dual zone controller. It came alive too with Fiesta messages:

And this one is the Cabrio Dual Zone unit that has the exact same wiring layout to the LS. It's a bit harder to see in the bridght daylight, but you should be able to just barely see the active text on the screen:

Lukeyson