View Single Post
Old 24-01-2023, 01:14 PM   #340
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What problems have you had with your Mondeo?

Battery issues are not unusual with Mondeos, if posts on European forums are any indication.
My suspicion is it's related to the Ford smart charge battery management system, not sure why...

Anyhow, these are my scientifically unvalidated practices:

I Use the Ford specified silver calcium type battery. Ford dealers in AUS do not supply this type in my experience. They are Century Yuasa batteries. Century Yuasa claim that their batteries can cope with the extra charging current silver calcium batteries can handle. Who knows. They are cheaper though...

Having learned from fellow poster Mondaveo how to reset the battery management system, I have since done that religiously once so far, whereas before I knew not how. Blessed are the button presses and the counting of the seconds.

One thing maybe worth knowing is the smart charge system aims to keep the battery at 80% state of charge, not 100%. The reason for that is beyond the scope of this post. The 80% policy means the battery will self discharge sooner, and the battery (according to this hypothesis) may suffer by being stored at a low state of charge, since it is quicker to go from 80% to 50% than from !00% to 50%.

Last edited by rondeo; 24-01-2023 at 01:23 PM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: