View Single Post
Old 19-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #15
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: 100,000 km 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Is this expected to be a major job?

Intake ducting - on top of the engine so shouldn't be hard at all. Right? Famous last words?

Intercooler - from reading Haynes it doesn't sound too hard, unbolt and remove from underneath. But I haven't looked and I only know the undertray is a pain...

What's the access like? I had a bad time changing the cooling hoses on our other car due to being unable to reach and get a proper grip/leverage near the block, and the Barina be much less dense in the engine bay than the Mondy...

I forget you have a newer model, on mine I had 17 bolts to undo, 3 push on small rubber hoses, three electrical connectors and a hose clamp. It only had 4 profiled seals, and 4 thick orings. All which crushed appropriately on tightening it down. Lets not forget though, I thought I'd get away with reusing the old ones after I cleaned it. But alas I were wrong and had boost leaks (stupido stupido stupido me). So I had to order the seals and do it again. In the end, it took about 10 mins to get the manifold off and fit the new seals/orings.

I then removed the rest of the charge ducts elbows and cleaned those and replaced the turbo outlet hose section with new clamps, as one was feeling soft, I've gotten my monies worth out of them for the 10+yrs of service, and renewing them will give me a long future ahead without needing to worry about them.

Removing the bottom lip of the front Bar also helps access the Intercooler, plastic privits and a doz screws isn't that bad.

I used diesel to swish around and clean up the intercooler. It's not a day or weekend turn around on the cooler, I let it sit for days till I were satisfied it were dry enough to be put back in service. Everything came out the bottom except for the intercooler to intake manifold charge duct and intake manifold. If I had access to a decent air compressor I'd have blown it out, bulk air is king here.

IDK, it all flowed on well and didn't really find it hard to do but someone else might, especially if they're not as mechanical and a little apprehensive on working on cars. YMMV is all. I mean most of it is hose clamps and bumper clips/screws so screwdrivers and 1/4" drive socket set and the like. Almost akin to a Mechano set lol.