View Single Post
Old 27-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #23
Loonar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Woodworking tools

Just as addendum to the 1st post re. Silky Oak table.. Their are 6 S.O. chairs as well, over time these had gotten a bit ratty. (The whole lot was made in 1950 after all)

Finally got around to refurbishing them as well, time consuming process..strip off old stain/varnish (i used Diggers, for domestic use, i.e., low toxicity, water clean up), reglue joints etc., a bit of a sand, then a wood oil application, v. easy (2 or 3 coats). The Mrs. recovered the seats with some vinyl to match the lighter veneer used on the seat backs, just some Cabots clear coat (again 2 or 3, also water clean up). I used some stainless cheese head screws to hold the back on, they look the part too.. Bob is your Uncle..

Couldn't get a S.O. veneer, so settled for an American White Pine (030" thick, nice contrast we thought), after stripping off the layer which was cracked and broken, on 1/2" ply, which we couldn't hope to replicate, the ply also was curved !! It kept me out of mischief for a while, just pottering along at my leisure..

Alas now though i have to find some other wood project to keep me occupied, plenty of other stuff to do, but always good to be playing with wood !!
Loonar is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: