View Single Post
Old 25-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #15
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: BF BA XR6T 1/4 Stock Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I reckon these ZF cars must be harder to get a time out of than the older 4 speeds. I cant recall reading about such large differences in times from otherwise stock cars, ive seen anything from mid 14's to low 15's for NA ZF's and now mid 13's to low 14's for turbo's.

Getting a BTR/Ion/DSI to go quick is as easy as performance mode. I keep hearing ZF's will smash the limiter in performance mode though and need to be manual shifted for best results.
I think something to keep in mind is that the 6 speed ZF's are lower geared in 1st. So ZF cars are accelerating faster and it's easier to hit the limiter. Also I've noticed from my GPS based Racelogic Performance Box data, that about 80-90% of the time lost in first gear will typically flow into the quarter mile time result. So if you hit the limiter at the end of first gear (say about 60-65 or so) and lose about 6 tenths, then you're going to get a 1/4 mile time slip that's about half a second slower (it's possible to work this out very accurately with the Racelogic software).

Regarding the ZF's hitting the limiter in Performance mode. On my stock untuned FG XR6T I've never had the problem of the limiter being hit in Drive or Power, but I believe it can be a problem when they are tuned or modified, presumably because they are accelerating too fast. I understand that the normal fix is to raise the rev limit.
A close look at my GPS Data shows that my car in normal Drive uses just about every rev before the changes, although it's not easy to find the shift points when looking at the data. The changes are seamless or virtually seamless.
That's part of the secret to their excellent performance I guess. I'd say they typically gain couple of tenths or more 1/4 mile time advantage (compared to the manual) in the 1/2 gear change alone.
When I look at what's happening with my car under full throttle driving, I wouldn't even consider driving it manually although I did give the transmission a bit of hard work (full throttle kickdowns) just before I got to the dragstrip to make absolutely sure that it gave the best possible performance. I reckon making manual changes work better (at least with my car) would be harder than winning the lottery.

Last edited by 2242100; 25-03-2015 at 10:38 PM.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote