View Single Post
Old 19-06-2021, 05:08 PM   #1364
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Sorry, I missed yesterday's mental health fact, so today is a double dose.

Support LGBTQIA+ youth
Day 18 – 160 push-ups
An estimated 16% of young, LGBTIQA+ Australians have made a non-fatal suicide attempt at some point in their lives. Among trans people, that number rises to almost 50%. The driving factors behind these devastating rates of suicidality amongst LGBTIQA+ Australians are not well studied. However, we do know that LGBTIQA+ people continue to face high rates of discrimination and stigma from a young age.

About 60% of LGBTIQA+ young people report experiencing verbal homophobic abuse, and about 80% of this abuse occurs at school. Living with discrimination and stigma has a substantial impact on levels of psychological distress and can make it harder to seek help when it’s needed.

Check out this powerful blog from Matthew Goss.
https://www.thepushupchallenge.com.a...le-ears-listen

Mental health resources for LGBTQIA+ young people can be found here:
http://www.headtohealth.gov.au//supp...der-expression

The leading cause of years of lost life
Day 19 – 115 push-ups
115 000 years lost: Compared to other leading causes of death, Australians who pass away from suicide are, on average, very young. In fact, the median age of someone who dies by suicide is only 43.9. Because suicide affects young Australians, it has an extremely high cost in Years of Potential Life Lost, which estimates how many more years of life an individual would have been expected to live based upon life expectancy data.

By this measure, suicide ranks number one in Australia, costing Australians about 115 000 Years of Potential Life annually. For comparison, heart disease as a cause of death is more than five times more common, but accounts for far less total years lost. This makes suicide prevention strategies of the utmost importance - they could help give people back a large number of years.

My charity is the local headspace here in Sale (despite what it says on the donation page), so I appreciate that some may not necessarily want to donate to such a specific location, but if anyone is still motivated to donate, you can do so via this link: https://www.thepushupchallenge.com.au/pushuperer/127050

I am extremely grateful for any donations made.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 19-06-2021 at 05:15 PM.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: