View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 10:53 AM   #5
redvxr8clubby
Starter Motor

Default Re: Junk ebay timing tools

Maybe not applicable to a Fiesta, I had a 2012 Fiesta but sold in December 2017. I recall looking at the timing cover, and wondering how the hell I'd even get my hands in there (looking from the top). I also have and still have it, a 2008 Subaru Forester, I changed the timing belt on that myself back in August 2015. I did see special tools to hold the crankshaft (on ebay), but at about $120 from memory, shipping from the UK. I made my own from some decking board. They Subaru crank has 4 holes, First I used a 66mm decking board (the treated pine type), and when I went to use it, I just split it as the holes were too close to the edges of the board, and also it's just softwood. Next I got a piece of 90mm Merbau decking board and I had success with that, much stronger hardwood, plus the holes not as close to the edges. I still have that piece of board and 6.5 years on, I maybe using it again. I'm not sure if this could be useful on a Fiesta or not.

Edit,

I just found this in another thread by Top_Ghia. I've pasted Top_Ghia's comments below. Very useful information before you start the job!

Do not do it without the tools.
You need the tools to lock up the crank and cams as nothing is marked or keyed. If you take the balancer off without the tools it’s game over and a new engine may be required.
I’ve seen it happen.

Last edited by redvxr8clubby; 10-03-2022 at 11:11 AM. Reason: additional info from another thread
redvxr8clubby is offline   Reply With Quote