View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 07:36 PM   #249
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

Back in October last year, I stripped my back garden with the aim to start again with a somewhat clean slate.

Work, Christmas, work, summer heat, work.................. got in the way, only now am I starting to re-plant.

Many people think Spring is the ideal planting time, however I believe Autumn is best.

Autumn presents the perfect combination of warm weather and warm soil without the extremes winter and summer can throw up. With warm soil, the root system of new plants will continue to grow right up until the cold of winter sets in. This establishment period then allows the plants to thrive once spring rolls around.

First up was a Japanese Maple with a mouthful name, Acer Palmatum 'Atropurpureum'. This particular Japanese Maple is able to withstand more sun than some varieties and will look great in tandem with the 'Seriyu' on the opposite side of the yard. I under planted this with three Gardenia 'Radicans'.

I then planted two Magnolia 'Kay Parris'. This variety of evergreen Magnolia is a more structured and compact in habit compared to the more common 'Little Gem'. I under planted these with either Nandina 'Moonbay' or Gardenia 'Radicans'.

A few more larger shrubs to fill in between these new trees, re-hash the irrigation lines and a thick layer of mulch and I'll be happy.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: