View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
numbnutz69
Starter Motor

Default Re: Lack of power in Ford Laser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290v
might sound strange but google kn laser problems
Hi 290V,
Thanks for the tip. I did google and found plenty of problems with a few similar to my problem. Just to recap for anyone else who may read this, 2001 KQ 1.6 Laser when warm has severe power loss and hesitations under load. The problem gets progressively worse as the car warms up starting out as a few flats spots in the throttle range to flat out getting up my driveway when the car is at operating temp.The car also gets this hottish smell about it although the temp is normal.This tends to suggest a lean mixture right?

The majority seemed to be things like faulty coil packs or leads (mine supposedly tested ok), faulty TPS (mine has been replaced), faulty AFM (mine has been replaced), faulty temp sensor (again mine has been replaced),car temp gets to about 85 degrees when at full operating temp (or so the mechanic says), faulty or blocked CAT (mine has been removed & inspected & is supposedly ok).

I tried your suggestion of unplugging the AFM and taking the car for a drive, the car wouldn't idle & the battery light was on but I could keep it going by holding my foot on the throttle, still run like crap.

The problem only happens when the car starts to warm up. I unplugged the new temp sensor & plugged the old temp sensor in & just let it hang under the bonnet. The car runs like a dream because it senses the car is not at operating temp & I assume runs a rich mixture. We drove around most of yesterday like this & the car ran perfectly.

With everything back together I then unplugged the 02 sensor & took the car for a drive, no different. I then unplugged the knock sensor and the car still drove like crap.

This is severely doing my head in. It would be good if I could go to the wreckers & try some parts or swap them out before I buy them (coil packs, ECU). I just simply can't afford to keep putting money into this with no outcome.

Thanks for to anyone who has any more suggestions. Anything is welcomed.
numbnutz69 is offline   Reply With Quote