View Single Post
Old 16-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
numbnutz69
Starter Motor

Default Re: Lack of power in Ford Laser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair man
Hi

Can anyone help?

My daughter has a KQ Laser which at operating Temperature has a distinct lack of power on take off.

When cold it takes off well from stand still, but once up to operating temperature there is virtually little to no throttle response until you actually get moving above about 60kph & around 3,000RPM!

The car has done 136,000 kms & I believe the timing belt was done at 100K mark.

My suspicions are - Spark Plugs, Injectors or Catalytic convertor?

Anyone with any suggestions?

Regards
Hi, I realise this is an old post (and my first) but I am at a loss as to what to do. I recently bought a 2001 KQ LXI 1.6 Laser for my son to learn to drive in. It exhibits the exact same behavior as described above.

When cold, the car runs perfectly, however as it warms up to operating temp, it gradually develops this horrible lack of power until the car is a dog to drive.It seems like the car has these multiple flat spots through various throttle positions with a couple of very small sweet spots where the car will run reasonably ok.

Once you hit a hill though, everything all but dies and in some cases I am back to first gear to get up the hill. Back on the flat the problem improves till the car drives almost ok. When the car is under load & the problem occurs, it feels like it bogs down & it gets this deep groan out the standard exhaust.

What the mechanic has found.
1) The timing seems to retard (hence the exhaust groan) but doesn't seem to want to advance until the revs get up above 3-4000 rpm.

What has been tried.
1) Timing belt checked to make sure all is OK and it hasn't skipped position. Recently installed belt prior to my purchase.
2)New AFM & TPS
3)Coil packs checked for spark to make sure all ok.
4)Fuel pressure checked (Not while driving the car though)
5)No fault codes

The car has 185000kms on the clock and is a 5 speed manual. I am at an absolute loss as to what is going on here or where to go from here. This is the third mechanic (& only one willing to put some effort in) that the car has been to and what started as a $5000 car is working out to be very expensive. At this stage we have forked out another $1000 in costs and yet no closer to getting the car working as it should.

I have come here hoping someone has any suggestions or possible fixes that we can try?

Many thanks in advance.
numbnutz69 is offline   Reply With Quote