View Single Post
Old 26-05-2020, 10:58 PM   #57
Schtoo

Default Re: I'm conflicted. AU or BA or BF XR8 coupe-utility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Not meaning to be one of "those" posters, but why do you want a Ute?

Reason I ask is that in the bracket you're looking they are absurdly overpriced.
My kids have grown up, so I have looked long and hard at utes, but the prices being asked are nuts.
And yes, the combination of V8 & Ute, puts it right at the top of the Bogan Hit Parade.

Also, whilst I am still a fan of the AU (and still own one) the Utes were amongst the ugliest things every created.
And lets not forget that with a Ute you get a rear-end that hasn't been updated since the 60's.

Honestly, if you're on a budget, and have your heart set on a Ute, stick to a Barra.

Well, I can easily tick the 'justify' box because I do have stuff I want/need to move around. Yes, I could stick a trailer on something but there's a good chance I'll need to move something and no opportunity to collect a trailer to do it.

I need to get to work mostly, leaving the family bus at home for the better half to use as she sees fit, and while it won't be a work hack, it'll have uses whilst at work. If I need to carry humans, the bus will take 7 all by itself.

I agree, the utes aren't pretty, but the practicality is what sells me on one. I can't see the value in a 'dual cab' ute, been there, done that. What I'd really actually like is a Holden IRS ute because I don't have much to drag around, and the day to day rear end is more in line with what I want, but at the same time Holden utes are still pricey (and I've been looking) and insurance is double a comparable Ford variety.

But the 'pretty' isn't me to be honest. I value utility and effectiveness over aesthetics.

It may well be that I decide "stuff it, buy a cheap POS and drive it into the ground" but I've also not really had anything 'for me' before. It's always been something grabbed in haste to get me mobile or with different priorities in mind. This time, priority is me and me alone.

Got a mate fixing up a panel van. Doesn't need it, just wants it. I'm the same, but a pano does nothing for me. A ute does. A sedan, not so much. A wagon, much betterer but the family bus is a jacked up wagon and one is enough.

That's about it. Enough reason for me.

Stu.
Schtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: