View Single Post
Old 19-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #14
Mondaveo

Default Re: 100,000 km 10 years

This thread is quite fortuitous timing, as I have the 10-year service due for my car too - delayed a bit as I've gone back and forth over whether to attempt the timing belt myself. Since having young children means that attempting major DIY will likely be a drawn out undertaking, and also that I won't be able to go for long without the car, the sane choice would seem to be to defer to getting a shop to do it.

I do intend to keep the vehicle for a long time to come, so cobrin's list of recommendations is very appreciated. Though I would still like to DIY some of it if feasible and of the rest I want to be mindful of adding anything that's going to be too expensive. To wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Intake manifold clean, gaskets for the 2.0L are $30 odd dollars.
Is this expected to be a major job?
My Haynes manual says that the inlet manifold is integral to the cylinder cover, and refitting after removal requires a complete new set of high-pressure fuel pipes and priming and bleeding the fuel system. (I assume proper cleaning entails removal?)

Quote:
Remove and clean the intake ducting and intercooler
Intake ducting - on top of the engine so shouldn't be hard at all. Right? Famous last words?

Intercooler - from reading Haynes it doesn't sound too hard, unbolt and remove from underneath. But I haven't looked and I only know the undertray is a pain...

Quote:
Renew the Silicon hose sections on the turbo and intake sections
What's the access like? I had a bad time changing the cooling hoses on our other car due to being unable to reach and get a proper grip/leverage near the block, and the Barina be much less dense in the engine bay than the Mondy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.

Last edited by Mondaveo; 19-11-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote