View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #21
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: 2021 Wheels Car of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Have we ever been in such a boring landscape for automotive?

I can't say if there's anything that's 'aspirational' under $200K these days - poster on children's walls category.

No more 'workin' man's supercar' - those days died with the loss of our locals.

None of the manufacturers are stepping up the game in the value for money segment with what's under the bonnet.

What's pushing 300KW+ sub $100K - Mustang?

It's a ****ty time to be a car enthusiast, I feel my enthusiasm dying.

Progress in internal combustion engine cars has completely stopped, no one is competing with each other.
I'd say that is pretty subjective. What is defined as a working man's supercar? Under 200k? AMGs, M cars, Boxster, Cayman, Giulia QV, etc.
Not sure about you but i never had a car under 200k on my wall. Lambos, Ferraris and Porsches all north of 200k.

I think it just depends on what you want out of a car that makes it worthwhile for you. There is always going to be a compromise.
I personally cannot see the need for a car to have near or more than 300kw to have fun in. If it needs that much power to be fun, the rest of the car is rubbish.

I can see a few "fun" cars under 100k that I would consider. Mustang, Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Toybaru 86/BRZ, Yaris GR, BMW M2, Supra, Mx5, i30N, etc.