Thread: TDCI Focus
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #73
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Also curious if i can use shell helix ultra extra 5W-30 in this as well or does it have to be especially a diesel oil? Its a group 4 synthetic that I use in my Fiesta.
Yes, most definitely use Diesel grade oil. Some Unleaded fuel oils are coming up to the level that they are equal with Diesel but quite there yet. Read the container and it will say if it is suitable for Diesel engines.

The Focus needs a low ash type oil if your car has a particulate filter, if you use any other oil, you risk the filter clogging up which can reduce the life of the filter which can be expensive to replace. If you don't have a particulate filter, then normal diesel oil is fine.

Anyone doing their own servicing should make sure they use the correct filter (Not necessarily Ford branded), make sure the filter cap is torqued down to the correct tension and change the filter every service. If you are going to change the fuel filter, make sure you have the correct tools to bleed the system before attempting the change. In the major service, there is a requirement to replace some fluid that is for the particulate filter, this apparently (So the book say's) is only done by Ford - go figure!!

Any truck driver will tell you, the secret to longevity in a diesel engine is changing filters frequently, personally I change the oil and filter every 7,000km, about 1/2 the normal service cycle.