View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
RobW

Default Mk2 Cortina V8 Build.

Hello everyone, Looks like I'm finally starting on my Cortina project. I'm expecting it will take a while and I thought I'd start a thread here to try and keep all my upcoming questions in one place, and maybe others might be half-interested in what I'm doing.

I'm looking to make a 100% street-legal cruiser (QLD). By my calculations I can go as high as 3.6L so the Rover is a natural choice. A 221 v8 would have been nice (just to keep it Ford) but they're, shall we say, rare.

I already have a Rover 3.5 from a P6 which is the shortest variation and has a front bowl sump, which will be the easiest to fit.

So far to make it compliant my jobs to do are:

1) Brakes will be need to be upgraded to a dual-circuit and a booster fitted (looking for suggestions on master cylinder and booster).
2) Move battery to boot (clearance).
3) Enlarge tunnel to fit gearbox, if necessary (clearance).
4) Fabricate engine/box mounts.
5) Fabricate exhaust (I'm thinking of reversing P5 exhaust manifolds to exit at the front cylinders and go from there).
6) Fit retractable front seat-belts.
7) Dual wing mirrors.

The car has a collapsible steering column from factory so that's covered. I'm hoping to not have to do a rack and pinion conversion, if I do it's only for room.

I have a BW35 currently behind the Rover, which realistically needs a rebuild, so I'm open to suggestion of other boxes which might fit the tight space and the Rover. I'm contemplating a v8 Trimatic and Dellow bellhousing, as the BW45 bellhousing is quite large. It will be a cruiser, the car is already an auto and I want to keep the stock interior, and an auto will be kinder on the diff.

As it's only a little v8 and I have a light foot I'm keeping the stock BW diff for now, and I'm hoping to keep my 13" rims. To do that I think I want to upgrade the wheel studs. Is it possible to upgrade the studs in strength of metal as opposed to physical size (just so I can keep my stock rims)?

The aim is to make the conversion look as factory as possible, and not attract too much attention.

I know there's a few of these conversions around - has anyone here done one?

Cheers,
Rob.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: