Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 25-07-2020, 01:16 PM   #683
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Mowing ..

Replaced my chainsaw yesterday. My 12 inch needed a new bar. Motor is fine, starts and runs like a champ. But $86 for a new bar when on inspection after the rediculous amount of work i had got out of it, the clutch drum had signs of heat on the inside and wear on the outside where the chain brake grabs. So really, it was not financially viable to change the bar only to have the clutch/brake assembly crap out later on a saw that was $119 new. So i flicked through the specs in the manual of the 3530. It claims 35cc on the box, but the manual lists the part numbers and spec of the 12 and 16. The claimed 35cc on the box, in the manual is 37cc, same as the 16 inch. Logic kicked in. Im cutting the same sized fire wood, the 12 was good for that. The 16 inch model, same motor has 56 cutting teeth on the chain over the 45 of the 12 inch, an aftermarket 12 inch chain is $36 and an after market 16 inch chain is $40. My logic is if cutting the same stuff i dont need more power, but more cutting teeth means each tooth sees slightly less work so should stay sharper for longer. So i bought the 3740. I have a running parts doner now. First start on the old one i went letter by letter off what the manual said and it was a pain to start. The manual more or less says flood it and if it doesnt kick after 6 pulls, flood it again. But the new one, after tensioning the chain, i used my revised starting procedure. Basically prime it till fuel goes into the carb. First pull on a new motor on full choke, it turned. Second pull full choke it kicked. Third pull half choke, i let the thing sit for a minute to warm up. Then it was choke off for test cuts. It cuts the same.
Basically i paid for a new bar, clutch assembly and a 2 year warrenty. And i have all the other bits you cant buy for the motor.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: