View Single Post
Old 20-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
rc8173
Starter Motor

Default Re: Researching head units with Android Auto (and Apple Car Play)

Update: I had a Sony xav-ax5000 ($699) head unit installed last week by Tim at Autobarn, Dural (Sydney). It has Android Auto and Apple Car Play. Installation was $125 and Aerpro kit (including steering wheel button harness) was $75. Tim had all the Aerpro parts ready for the installation.

Sony XAV-AX5000: https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/...ers/xav-ax5000

The reviews for this unit on the Sony site had me concerned, but after looking at the comments, I could see that they all had problems connecting their phones. I've used Android Auto in my wife's car for a few months now and have experienced trouble connecting, but it was always due to using cheap USB cables, so the negative reviews are not warranted. I paid a little extra for a high quality cable ($25 Bing Lee) which hasn't given me any trouble yet.

I'm very pleased with the results of the Sony head unit so far.

The steering wheel buttons can be programmed to anything, so I set the SEEK button to be ATT (semi-mute). This took care of my concerns about reducing the volume in a hurry.

The only thing that bothers me is how low it sits. The screen is facing the gear stick. Ideally, I'd like the screen to be tilted up a little, if not for any other reason other than looking at the Google map. Maybe a future or different model will allow this. Everything else is awesome though.

Tip: On Google Map, enable Satellite mode. It's like the car has a camera drone 500m above and behind the car. It's an amazing perspective!

Cheers!
rc8173 is offline   Reply With Quote