View Single Post
Old 26-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #84
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4/ST150 with Mazda SP25 engine

So in summary, we got a White-with-blue-strips 2007 WQ XR4, 240,000km, actually a really straight and tidy unit.

It's had mods. Including extractors and a resonated 2.5" exhaust. Sounds like an effing mosquito on steroids. Will be a great system when it comes time to track, but right now I need to shut that effing thing up. Have yet to investigate options. Has a high flow cat too - which in itself is a problem because the post-cat O2 sensor is flagging poor cat function and triggering the engine check light.

It also came with coilovers - installed on the front, in a box for the rear. I must be old and fat, because the front rides like a pig. Steers like a champion though. But for now, I received the factory struts and they'll be going back on. But those coilovers will see some future use.

It has an aftermarket Pioneer Double Din head unit, and it's running, but the previous owner didn't finish the install (it's sitting loose in the dash!) nor did he get it hooked up to the audio controls just behind the wheel.

Has some Mountune gear - an intake pod, and some good quality high tension leads. Nice. Has the factory inlet manifold though.

Front brake rotors changed to 300mm units, with a Focus ST170 brake mounting bracket that allows the ST150 calipers to fit on the bigger rotors. All rotors are slotted and with Bendix pads. Needs braided lines because the brakes are still a bit spongy and I like my brakes unspongy. Will stay like this for awhile until I can't help myself with some 4-pots I'd imagine.

But get this - with the exhaust and intake mods, it has a BPT tune and it came with an X4. Pshaw! So I am pleased with that deal. I have not yet checked to see if there are any local tuners that can work with the SCT, but I stand a good chance. And that's one of the first things I'll need to do post 2.5 install. Plus it can reset the engine check light for rego. Mind you, I already have an IDS at home, but I've had that since 2006 for the Falcon and Territory, so I suspect it won't pickup a 2007 model. If not I'll just have to get a fake-vcm-ids from eBay. The IDS is more than capable of resetting DTC's too, or I could just type the clear DTC command as text using an ELM327 since I know what they are. I haven't done that for quite a few years though, will need some cobwebs cleaned out.

So, what will happen next. This is the order I think I'll approach things, and I'll take photo's if that is of interest.:

(1) I'm getting a Clicon phone mount for it right away (Part 653731), and a universal adjustable holder (Part 511308). With a 35min commute each way every day, I need to legally be able to touch my android-auto-phone now that it has podcasts added. I'm a slut for the Google Assistant, and the pixel 2 gives me the best experience with the worldwide spy. Clicon dash mount is not cheap at $118 combined for both parts, but I have yet to find any brand that is so well customised to every car, just works perfectly each time (So far Territory, BA Falcon, Lexus IS300 and IS250) and stays working for years to come. My BA base unit must be nearing 15 years old, while the adjustable holder has worked with Samsung Galaxy S4, S6, S8, iPhone 6 and now a Pixel 2 XL.

(2) That stereo flops out at every launch. Last owner never got around to getting a 2DIN cage and anchoring that in. The supercheap Aerpro FP953000 is cheap enough for me, so I'll grab one of those pronto. A Fiesta 2DIN fascia panel is already there.

(3) There must be some ISO cables in the dash panel already since the Radio does work through all the speakers. But if it doesn't have the unit to map the wheel control resistances to the pioneer resistances, then that is next. I have some data on what the resistances are - but essentially aerpro already have a unit that can map Ford to Pioneer resistances. The Aerpro part number that does this is the CHFO2C. That is the adapter from the Ford Audio Control and speakers in the Ford Harness to ISO connectors and the Resistance mapping unit (plus split-outs for handbrake, reverse line and Vehicle Speed Sensor for head units that can use them - I can certainly use handbrake and reverse line). To get from the ISO to the head unit needs part APP8PIO8. To go from Resistance mapping unit to the Pioneer 'Wired Input Controller' port is part number APPIOPL. Some of these parts must already be in there but I am yet to inspect which. Most of the adapters in the $10 to $15 bar the resistance mapping loom which is $100 on eBay (or $150 ordered via Supercheap auto)

(4) Front Suspension. Jiggedy Jiggedy. But that's just bolts and stuff. Looking forward to tightening my fillings back up again. But excited about future track prospects.

(5) That exhaust. Man. Bzzzzt

(6) Braided hoses.

I'd love some tips on how to cleanly remove the stripes. They are the only things that are faded.

Then relax for awhile while I collect some tools - I have been holding off on an engine crane and holder for example, or getting an actual 2.5 and a 2.3 timing cover. (We used to block-and-tackle engines out years ago). I promised myself I'd finish some work constructing a lean-to on my shed before I really got into this.

Lukeyson