View Single Post
Old 31-01-2019, 11:17 PM   #70
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4/ST150 with Mazda SP25 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turbomk View Post
i hope u go on this journey and do a kool swap like this as it will be very unique.
heya

Me too. I'm building up to it. It certainly fits the bill for something small and cheap - at least for the NA 2.5 swap - that has future potential. And with something that old and cheap, I'd even consider running some cheaper chinese gear on it to play with.

So the sticking points seem to be.

(1) I have to observe the situation with the dipstick. With some engines running external and newer engines running internal.Same too those odd early engines with oil galleries inside the front timing chaing cover. But I think since the XR4 is the iVCT engine it will be one of the 'later' models.

(2) The intake cam teeth is different depending on the motor. So there may be some need to inspect or swap the intake cam. That one annoys me and makes the swap just that little bit harder.

(3) Crank angle sensor - changed between certain years and is different or the same between ford and mazda at certain times. But I think I see where it mounts on lower left of the pulley on the 2.0, and I can see some tapped mounting points on the Ford Escape 2.3 from 2005. So I'm hopeful that if the Mazda L5-VE doesn't have a mount for it, that I might still stand a chance of finding a Ford 2.3 front cover.

(4) Nobody that's swapped a 2.0 with a 2.3 or a 2.5 seems to have ever complained about the 14mm difference in block height. So I'll put that on the back burner.

(5) Port sizes on the 2.5 head though have made me take notice. That adapter plate for the exhaust headers really is just a 'restrictor'. Using the 2.5 intake manifold and a set of headers sized for the 2.5 would be the better option. It would be worth me grabbing the manifolds from the donor and seeing what fits. I have yet to read up on whether the Fiesta has the variable length intake runners, since that's something that will be in the later intake manifolds. More research for me.

(6) The ECU - since the WQ XR4 had intake VCT, we should be OK to drive the VCT on all other models with intake VCT - SP25, Mazda 6. Fingers crossed.

(7) I'm still hung on the transmission. Sticking with the IB4+ is clearly the cheap option, but it would certainly be getting close to needing and LSD. The MTX75 swap seems to be a rare thing in Oz (bar the lucky bastards that find one at their local wreckers) but even it would still need an LSD. I'm curious as to why the Mazda MPS 6 speed with LSD has not really been mentioned anywhere else. I posed the question on Fiestastoc and hit the standard naysayer 'you're better off saving you're money and buying a Mk7 with the 6 speed in it already'.

So I'm getting reasonably close to being comfortable that this can actually be done.

Lukeyson