View Single Post
Old 30-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #65
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4/ST150 with Mazda SP25 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier View Post
That link has a whole bunch of useful 2.0 to 2.5 comments further down. It also gives a great description on the differences between the Mazda and the Ford engines over the years. Not much mention of the 2.0 though.

Copied from that page

Ford Vs Mazda
Remember the part about a "few minor differences"? Here they are.

Ignition setup - In 2003 - 2004 the Mazda 6 had spark plugs, spark plug wires, and one ignition coil-pack that drove the four spark plugs. In 2005 the Mazda 6 used two versions of the ignition system, the old style spark plug wires plus one coil-pack and also a new individual coil-on-plug system. Note: these coils were the round style. In 2006 - 2008 the Mazda 6 2.3 exclusively used the coil-on-plug system and the coils were the square style. The Fusion 2.3 used the square style coil-on-plug system.

Intake Camshaft - While the actual intake camshafts looks very similar between the Mazda and Fusion 2.3, there is one very small but very important difference - the timing wheel/cog that is at the end of the camshaft. The 2003 - 2005 Mazda 6 had five teeth on the timing wheel/cog while the Fusion and 2006+ Mazda 6 had six teeth. Not only is the number of teeth different but so is the layout. Below you will see a photo of the Fusion timing wheel/cog. I have also included a layout diagram of the differences between the Fusion, the 03-05 and the 06+ Mazda 6 & Mazda 3. 2.3 timing cog 2.3 timing cog

Note #1: The timing wheel/cog is pressed on to the camshaft and is able to rotate if you put enough force on it.

Note #2: A couple of people in the comments section have found that the JDM Fusion 2.3 engines actually have five teeth on the timing wheel instead of six. In addition, they found that the timing wheel was clocked differently and as a result had to be rotated 1/8 of an inch counterclockwise. The air intake ports on the JDM engines are 1/4 inch taller and will not seal correctly with the stock intake gasket, leaving a small gap. Check out the comments by Steve Krause and Zane for all the details.

Oil Pan and Oil Pressure Sensor - The Mazda 03 - 05 2.3L engines had a tube for the oil dipstick on the side of the oil pan. The dipstick was routed to the outside of the engine. The later 06-08 Mazda engines routed the dipstick through the inside of the engine and out the top through the valve cover. All the Fusion & Milan 2.3L engines have the dipstick routed through the engine. The oil pressure sensors are different between the Fusion and the Mazda so they have to be swapped. Physically they look the same but they function differently. If you use the Fusion oil pressure sensor it will cause the oil light to come on.

Valve Cover - The early Mazda engines had metal valve covers. The later 06+ Mazda and Fusion 2.3 engines use a plastic cover with a hole for the oil dipstick.

Crankshaft Pulley and Crankshaft Position Sensor - The Mazda 2.3L and the Ford 2.3L have different crankshaft pulleys (number and layout of the timing teeth don't match) and different crankshaft position sensors (one is three wire and the other one is two wire). The Mazda 6 2003 - 2005 also used a different crankshaft sensor than the Mazda 6 2006-2008 (sensors have different mounting points).

Front Timing Cover - Because of the different mounting points for the crankshaft position sensor, the front timing covers are different between the 03 - 05 and the 06+ Mazda 6 (See Brian's comment at the bottom of the page). The Fusion uses the same timing timing cover as the later (06-08) Mazda engines. In addition the 03 - 05 timing cover has oil passages inside of it that are not present on the later 06+ Mazda and Fusion timing covers.

Cylinder Head Temperature sensor - The Ford version of the 2.3L has a cylinder head temperature sensor located on top of the engine.

What does this all mean? Basically, if you have the newer 06-08 Mazda 6 with the coil-on-plug setup then swapping to a Fusion engine is a breeze - the parts that you have to reuse from your old engine are the crankshaft pulley, crank position sensor, and oil pressure sensor. If you have an older 03 - 05 Mazda 6 then there is more work involved - you will have to reuse and swap your ignition system (spark plugs, wires, and coil pack), intake camshaft (because it has a different timing cog), crankshaft pulley, crankshaft position sensor, oil pressure sensor, front timing cover, and camshaft position sensor.

In all cases, when you are doing a 2.3L engine swap, you need to open the valve covers on both of the engines and inspect/compare the timing cogs on the intake camshafts. If the layout of the teeth on the cogs is different between the engines then you know that you will have to swap the intake cams.

You will want to reuse your Mazda wiring harness. It is also a good idea to stick with your Mazda intake manifold and the throttle body.

Frequently Asked Questions
What year of the Fusion engine can I use for the swap? - The Fusion used the 2.3 engine in years 2006 - 2009. Any of those will work. When searching for a Fusion engine you may see some places mentioning production date pre or post Dec 06. Either will work in this case. If in doubt, go for the newest engine that you can afford.

Will a Fusion engine from an automatic work with my manual car or vice versa? - It is the exact same engine with the exception that for manual cars there is a pilot bearing that is installed in the rear of the crankshaft. So if you have a manual Mazda and you got a Fusion engine from an automatic car you will need to install a pilot bearing. Don't bother transferring over your old pilot bearing - it is a $10 part and should probably be replaced anyway.

I have a 2006 or up Mazda 6. Can I swap in an older (03 - 05) Mazda 2.3 engine? - In a nutshell, no. Older Mazda 2.3 engines have timing covers which contain oil passages. These oil passages are not present in the timing covers of newer (06 and up) Mazda 2.3 engines. See nojodas67's comment for more details.

Will the Fusion 2.3 swap work on my Mazda 3 2.3 car? - It will but you will need to swap oil pans in addition to all the other items. Finally, the alternator will mount with only 3 bolts. See Joel's comments for more details.

Will the Fusion 2.3 engine work in my turbo Mazdaspeed 3 or 6? - No. The Mazdaspeed engine has a totally different cylinder head to accommodate direct injection. The Fusion engine block lacks, among other things, machining for the turbo oil feed and return lines.

And some comments specific to the 2.0/2.5 swap I copied out:

nojodas67 10-31-2015 19:02

I've done these swaps not once but 3 times on 2004-on Tribute/Escape. I've swapped in a Fusion 2.3L into a 2006 Tribute and a Focus 2.3L into a 2005 Escape. I also installed a Focus 2.0L (yes, 2.0) into a 2005 Escape, successfully. I also swapped a Fusion 2.3L into a Mazda 5 that had a 2.3L with a rod knock. I also installed a Dodge Avenger 2.4L into a 2007 Kia Rondo, which ALL salvage yards and shops said couldn't be done.

Gez 01-28-2018 02:51

Hi, I have a 2008 Mazda 3 2.0l . I have read all of these engine swaps stories with great interest and am interested in maybe doing a swap from my current engine to a 2.5l engine , (called the SP2.5 ) here in Australia. I understand that to keep the a/c compressor in the original position it is necessary to change the sump pan . I also thought that the timing covers were the same for the 2.0l , 2.3 and the 2.5 Mazda engines . Apparently this not the case and that the 2.0l timing cover is shorter.
Does anyone know this for sure ,that the 2.0 and the 2.3 are different? If so I can't swap my timing cover for the 2.5 and will have to get one for a 2.3 to enable me to swap sumps and fit a./c back in original place. Hope all of this makes sense.

Gosh, anyone know who this Gez guy is? Could he be on AFF?

Datsun1600 02-06-2018 19:08

Cool to see this thread going strong for so long.

I also completed a 2.5L swap (2012 Fusion) into a Mazda3 2.0L (2007) with an ATX. It was worth all the effort and expense. Definitely more expensive to do the swap into a 3i vs. a 3s because you need to source a timing cover and oil pan from a 2.3L engine, and an intake manifold and throttle body from a 2.5L Mazda motor. But the end result is really nice.

The 2.0L engine timing cover is too short because the head is 3/4" shorter than on the 2.3 and 2.5 engines. Since the new engine will have a taller head, you also need to get a new passenger side motor mount for a 2.3L engine, and then supply a spacer between the exhaust manifold and its lower supporting bracket. Washers will do, but I bought 3/4" machined spacers from Ace Hardware. It's crazy what they stock in some of their stores.

Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone is doing swaps with later model Fusion engines. I keep seeing 2012 as the most recent date, but those engines will get harder to find with low miles. Mine had only 20k on it. Has anyone attempted or confirmed that a 2013 or 2014 2.5L Ford Fusion engine is compatible? Thanks.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 30-01-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: