View Single Post
Old 30-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #20
xf_vanner

Default Re: MD petrol wagon, thoughts?

The truth is that by the time we get to the MD in 2015 (and though they went back to a torque converter transmission for EcoBoost), the wet-clutch DCT in the diesel was basically sorted and is as reliable as any other component on the car. As long as it's properly maintained (and admittedly the higher cost of routine servicing is a drawback) there's no reason to expect it's going to grenade on you. Still the reputational damage has been done and we get people like the OP of this thread who can't be convinced. In the end though it's each to their own.

As an aside, isn't it funny how VW contributed just as much if not more to tarnishing image of dual-clutch transmissions with their DSG fiasco, but still VWs are called "quite good"! Shows the power of the continuous brand building engaged by the VW group!

/rant off [/QUOTE]

Not wrong! I went with a vw golf tdi which has the dsg 6 speed. Fantastic fuel economy (1200kms) out of a tank, but the DSG doesn't like stop/start traffic. It's not comfortable enough for the long hauls, I generally spend an hour or so behind the wheel at a time.
So now I'm at a conundrum..... do I suck it up and get a mondeo wagon diesel or switch to a petrol turbo??

How is the DCT with stop start traffic? The golf hates it and I've stalled it countless times.
xf_vanner is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: