View Single Post
Old 19-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sort of came from the other direction. I had been working in radio for quite a few years but was starting to get bored with it. The one thing I did enjoy was promotional activities, meeting listeners etc. Thus at the age of 27 I decided to go to uni and do a B Bus (majoring in marketing).

From this I moved into promotions managers roles in radio as well as for a wine club. I am now marketing manager for a sporting goods retailer.

My tip would be to work with something you really like and enjoy. I know I could never do marketing for a pharmaceutical company or something like that because it just doesn't interest me. Decide what field you'd like to get into (retail, media, IT etc) and then work towards it. Maybe there's someone within that industry you can talk to to get a bit of insight or even do some "work experience" type things to build your skills.

Of course you could also take your current skills and qualifications and think about what similar (but still different) jobs they could suit without completely changing your direction?

Good luck with it all.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote