View Single Post
Old 16-04-2024, 07:59 AM   #8
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: V8 petrol power to live on at Aston Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
There is a difference between the tech you listed and the current push towards EV's. There was no agenda behind the demise (or the success) of those products, the people pushing EV's and demonising ICE vehicles aren't doing so from a position of altruism or for the greater good.
Oh, I disagree with this suggestion. All of those products/technologies were pushed - in some cases very hard - by entrepreneurs trying to make a buck out of a future technology.

For example, the online Investopedia lists one Henry Ford as their fourth greatest entrepreneurs. Now, a lot of people on this forum despise Elon Musk. Which is ironic, as this forum bears the name of a person who was at best a prickly and controversial personality. (Look up the history of Henry Ford sometime...)

Getting back to EV ... I completely agree with your sentiments about certain proponents pushing an unsuitable technology whilst engaging in ideological confrontation. I am particularly annoyed at ALP's ham fisted approach to emissions reduction. And the advertisements they (under the guise of the Commonwealth) have been placing on YouTube are bordering on false representations.

However, in the longer term, I do think that EV are going to be doing a greater share of automobile duties. I think in some cases, the business case for buying an EV is quite compelling. But, once again, the decision to purchase an EV (or not) should be left to the consumer. And not shoved down people's throats or be guilt purchased. I also think the government should stay out of the market. For example, the whingey articles in the SMH for the government to install more EV charging stations is a classic example of inappropriate market intervention.

As for Aston Martin back peddling on their EV plans, I suspect it was a relatively simple engineering decision to make. Most manufacturers have a five to ten year development road map. Most likely Aston Martin pulled their V8 plans out of the rubbish bin and back on the table.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote