View Single Post
Old 16-12-2023, 10:49 PM   #28
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Default Re: ANCAP is a waste of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
there's two aspects to crash safety. If you do have a crash - make it as safe as possible. Equally important - reduce the likelihood of crashing. That's the pillar that the advanced driver aids are tackling
I agree with what you are saying, however, many of these driver aids are very poorly executed but because that box is ticked with ANCAP, 5 stars. Without that box ticked and the associated 5 stars, the car is ridiculed and made out to be unsafe.

I can give you a few examples just in the last week where I've had the brakes slam on for no reason.
First driving along the street and approach a single parked car on the left. My vehicle sees and slams on the brakes then just carries on like nothing happened. Meanwhile the car behind me thinks I've just brake checked them for no reason.
Second backing out of my driveway. The car sees the fence and freaks out. Slams the on brakes hard enough to leave 2 small skid marks on the concrete. I was only going steady and was in the middle of the driveway. That's the first and only time it's ever done it.
Thirdly, anytime someone up ahead is turning right into a driveway the car slams it's brakes on like we are going to hit them. Even if they are already out of the lane.

All this in a vehicle that has well calibrated systems. I'd hate to be driving in something that was poorly calibrated.

If ANCAP are serious about vehicles having these systems they need to tested for their suitability not just ticking a box to say they have them and here is your 5 stars.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: