View Single Post
Old 12-12-2023, 08:57 PM   #27
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 10 years since GM announced they would cease making cars in Australia

Sort of related, and with respect to the spare parts - earlier in the year I walked into Gardener's in Perth and to my great delight discovered the Aussie Holden flame was still alive there. I test drove a VF wagon and was even more impressed with what they'd achieved. Yes, even the 6 cylinder one.

I've since found that dottered around the country are dealers who still have the Holden signage up, and dealers that do the last Commodores as a theme within their stocklists.

Now about the manufacturing, the other thing I've learned from the Button plan and it's final play out, is that if we want to be a first world country that value-adds, we the people are going to have to do it on our own, in spite of policy and with the costs stacked up against us. I used covid to set up my own productive capacity.

I look forward to seeing Australia have automakers once more but it probably won't occur until after the next Pacific conflict when they re-realise the importance of having sovereign production.