View Single Post
Old 06-12-2023, 08:06 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: DFB's Image Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Who remembers the Explorer? A car from a time when Ford would actually take a gamble on making a certain group of vehicles from the US market in RHD. The Explorer didn't have much of an impact on the Australian market, but in the US, this was a pivotal model for Ford and the entire US car market in general. You may not realise this, but the very first Explorer is credited as one of the very first SUV's, a vehicle that while it could go offroad, was more geared towards on road driving.

The first Explorer's in Australia were dubbed the UN and UQ and were only available in 4.0 V6 form. (The US also had the 5.0 Windor V8) Manuals got the ancient OHV 4.0 V6, the 5-speed auto's had a SOHC 4.0 V6 that produced the same power as the Aussie SOHC Intek Inline 6, 157 kW. That 5-speed auto would actually reappear on the FG Falcon in 2008 to 2010.

My English teacher in high school had a red Explorer, fittingly, her sons also played soccer.

My one experience fixing a Ford Explorer was some really fat woman come in complaining that the electric seat stopped working,

What it was, she was too heavy for the electric motor and with a bit of age on the motor, it kept popping the fuse.

Wouldn't play up when we had the car, when she took it, no fail - blow fuse

I love the later 2001 onwards models with the 4.6L V8, they look tough as between this and the GMT400 'Holden' Suburban are the two SUVs I'd happily own.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: