View Single Post
Old 18-10-2023, 05:24 PM   #13
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Victoria’s electric vehicle tax thrown out by High Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I think the whole folly of "EV users not paying their way" is just that, a folly and a whinge.
There is a significant benefit in the current fuel tax structure for EV.

Quote:
EV drivers paid tax on their car (GST, LCT & stamp duty), not forgetting ongoing registrations as well. EV users are tax payers who pay an income tax.
So to do ICE vehicles.

Quote:
They also pay a GST on their electricity bill.
Depends. A person who can charge there EV via their solar PV system pays no "fuel tax". None, whatsoever.

The Federal Government's STC rebate is presently $396 per kW installed. Assuming a 10kWh system (which is the typical average at present), is a cash back to the home owner of nearly $4000.

Quote:
Don't forget not everyone pays the same amount of excise. I have a car that runs about 6l/100km, I technically drive on the road more than our friend with his 5.0l V8 but he pays more "tax."
I don't agree on subsidising the purchase of any EV cars or anything like that.
And that was one of my points. Those in lower social-economic groups can least afford a new vehicle (with lower fuel bill) or to swap over to an EV. They are struggling with 20 year old clunkers that are chewing through fuel. In the process, paying a fuel exercise tax that EV owners avoid completely.

Quote:
Are we going to get to a point in time where it becomes a user pay system? Cause I sure as hell don't want that.
But it is a user pays system. For the ICE user more km driven = more fuel used = more tax collected. For EV users, they are presently getting a free ride by not pay over $20B in tax collected.

Quote:
If collecting tax is your concern, then I am sure you'd be keen to object to the stage 3 tax cuts, reviewing the tax breaks on "work vehicles" and other loopholes that leak billions in possible tax revenue.
It may come to that.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote