Thread: Minimum Wage.
View Single Post
Old 14-06-2023, 10:32 PM   #9
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Minimum Wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
IME, the people who want to WFH are the ones who say this, when I've gone looking for the evidence, the jury is out. It can be more productive to a point, but then becomes less productive as the hours away from the office increase. It's also highly likely to be down to the individual - some people do well with no supervision, some just spend the day in their PJs scratching their balls.

Except by default we're doing less than the 9-5 we get paid for. We duck out for coffee, we stand around chatting discussing what we watched last night or did on the weekend, we stuff around on our phones, etc. If people were more productive during the day, they may not need to take work home.

Ultimately, in a market where unemployment is low, managers arent in much of a position to crack the whip. In a recession, that wont be the case.
Those who want to slack off when working will slack off anywhere, they just get more creative in going about it when in the office.. I work in corrections, so I can’t work from home, so working from home isn’t something I can do. But my fiancé does, and I can tell you nine days out of ten she doesn’t finish when she’s meant to, along with the rest of her team. Lunch breaks aren’t taken as often either, and are worked through most of the time.

I have a job description that I work to. I am paid to do a role. I start work at 7, finish at 3. I can do my 8 hours of work in 6 most days. I don’t need to take on more work as that’s not my role. If I do take on more work, I’m doing more work than what I’m paid for. The government takes enough off me, the last thing I need to give them is free work.

Working from home takes pressure off the roads and public transport (making both more pleasant for those who need to use them) and gives people two hours of their lives back. Covid has proven we can do this.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: