Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 10:38 PM   #1820
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
Completely of topic Magnolia question.

I'll apologise if this isn't the right place, but it seemed to be.

Teddy Bear magnolias. I have 6 magnolia trees I put in late last year doing great. All getting full sun, fertiliser, mulch. Love it. Full sun.

I'm in Melbourne.

I want to plant another one, but the position receives nearly full sun from later October to late April, then mostly shady from May -october.

What's the chances of the plant thriving or am I better with a decidous plant like another snowball or small tree?

Same problem out the front. Morning to afternoon sun in summer. Near full shade in winter. I have a few camellias doing well there, but a gun the stops the harsh sun.

I'm open to ideas!
Magnolia Grandiflora varieties, in your case Teddy Bear, are pretty adaptable to most conditions. Considering they will not be actively growing during the colder months, being in shade at that time of the year will not be an issue. Once the weather warms up and the sun begins to shine in that area, the plant will make use of that and grow accordingly.

Another one to look at, although more of a large shrub rather than a small tree, would be Magnolia "White Caviar". I'm also a Camellia fan, so perhaps also look into Camellia Setsugekka, Camellia Plantation Pink or Camellia Hiryu.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: