Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 09:14 PM   #1816
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Before I started for the day, I walked into my local Stihl dealer with a wad of cash ready to buy a new chainsaw!

I had two models shortlisted, the $ 899 MS 251 and the $999 MS 271. These two are within Stihl's "Landowner" range, offering bigger engines than the "Homeowner" range, but without the bulk and extreme power of the "Professional" line that is catered to industries who use these all day long.

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...72/MS-251.aspx
https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...72/MS-271.aspx

Stihl also sell a MS 251 C-BE for $999 with their Easy2Start system, but I decided to forgo that feature. I figured that if I'm going to spend $1000, I would rather spend that on a more powerful machine. For the extra $100 over the 45.6cc MS 251, the MS 271 comes with a larger 50.2cc engine and a longer bar. In the end, I chose the MS 271 for the additional power and bar size for a modest price premium. Once you go above the MS 271, you start to get into pretty big money, so the 271 is a happy sweet spot in the range.

This store is ALWAYS busy, with far more floor traffic and phone calls than they small team can deal with. I know how that feels! So I try to know what I want and just get to the point so I'm not wasting their time or mine.

I told the guy I wanted a saw and the two I was looking at, he handed me the MS 271 and I said "I'll take it" in less than 15 seconds. He remarked that I was so easy to deal with, my response was I always researched what I'm looking at so I kind of already know what I want when I walk in the store.

I also wanted the carry case and the 2-in1 chain sharpening tool along with the saw. I never ask for discount, I think it's rude to be honest. But they know I'm a contractor so they seem to always give me a good deal. This saw was no different. The MS 271 retails for $999 and the case $100, so I came prepared to spend $1100. All up, I got the saw, sharpener and case for $1050 with a free chain included, which works out to be about $147 discount and $50 under budget.

We both won here, he got an easy sale, and I got a new toy...........

Stihl saws have had these features for a while now, but a single action choke/run/stop lever and the tool-less fuel/oil caps add to ease of use.

The 2in1 File is for quickly sharpening the teeth and depth gauge in a single step.

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...le-Holder.aspx

The case is supplied with a replacement bar cover to allow it to slot into the body of the case.

The case is also large enough to hold the supplied multitool and sharpener.

When the salesman took the machine out back for it's pre-use startup, I couldn't help but smile at the sound she made, a super healthy scream.

For this point onwards, I'm going to call her Aretha, as in Aretha Franklin whose voice seemed to have the ability to out scream all the others.

Once I got her home, I can safely say I'm going to love using this saw. It has a little hesitancy on initial throttle application that I'm told will settle once the saw breaks in. But boy, can she rev! She has this lovely throaty growl when given full throttle that builds to a frankly hard-on inducing scream. Sorry, but I can't be the only nutjob who gets off on the sound of an angry chainsaw!

NOW! I have this unnatural urge to go and chop something down! Anything!

With thanks to Rallye Sport for the advice!
So looks like a mad unit. Judging by the choke, cold start is it prime, full choke till it kicks, half choke and it starts then pull the trigger, chokes off and good to go?
So just an out of interest question, being a larger small 2 stroke, whats the fuel mix? My 37cc chainsaw is 1:50, same as my old 30cc and 25cc whippersnippers. My current 51.7cc whippersnipper is 1:40 mix.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote