Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2022, 05:25 PM   #1810
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I have not had much opportunity to influence and guide a young worker over the years. I do see a certain interest in teaching, because I think I'm good at it, but I also wonder how frustrating it would be.

I look back at how I was "taught" and know that I would approach things differently. For the most part, I was always thrown in the deep end and left to my own devices. In a way, I learnt quick, in another way I didn't get the hands-on tuition that I probably needed........I'm a visual learner. Whenever I have had the chance to guide someone new, I have always made sure to break things down for the person, explain how we do something, but crucially, why we are doing something. From my perspective, if a person knows why they are doing something, then perhaps they will better appreciate what they are doing and therefore do a better job.
From a learning standpoint as an apprentice there was 2 types of tradesman. 1st was the one who would think his offsider was like working with a broken arm. So you were forced to be observent. Second was the tradesman who was a teacher. Explain the why things get done, give an example then you know, keep an eye on you the first few trys to make sure you actually listened and learnt.
That worked well for me. You can look at something 1000 times and not be able to do it. Watch it once, be told the why to do it, and have someone behind you pointing you in the right direction when you try. You learn a lot quicker. The thing about teaching. So apprentices are there to learn. If you dont teach, they will be like working with a broken arm. Their job is to learn and make jobs get done faster. So if you teach them, they dont do your job, they just do theirs and the job gets done faster. Granted mistakes will made, but thats part of the learning process. You do not belittle an apprentice infront of a client, you have a conversation later in the car.
I like teaching. But only to those who absorb knowledge. Theres always the 1%ers who arent in it for the right reasons and cause problems.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: