Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2022, 04:56 PM   #1808
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Now im sort of just ranting. But this covers a whole range. From hand tools to power tools. You need to know how much gusto to use to let the tool do the work. So, regardless, not enough, the tool doesnt do much, you dont damage it depending on what it is. Too much, like say a holesaw on a drill, or a chainsaw. Your holesaw will overheat and go blunt and your drill will overheat. Same with a chainsaw. Chain will overheat and go blunt and chainsaw gets hot. If you just get it right, let the tool do the work, you get much faster results.
So im from an electrical background. I know how to use drills and stuff. Get an apprentice and tell them dont go in too hard? They listen but think leaning on the thing will do the job faster as they are trying to impress, but no, they smoke the holesaw and the drill needs a 5 minute break to cool down. So thats an example of not letting the tool do its job.
I have not had much opportunity to influence and guide a young worker over the years. I do see a certain interest in teaching, because I think I'm good at it, but I also wonder how frustrating it would be.

I look back at how I was "taught" and know that I would approach things differently. For the most part, I was always thrown in the deep end and left to my own devices. In a way, I learnt quick, in another way I didn't get the hands-on tuition that I probably needed........I'm a visual learner. Whenever I have had the chance to guide someone new, I have always made sure to break things down for the person, explain how we do something, but crucially, why we are doing something. From my perspective, if a person knows why they are doing something, then perhaps they will better appreciate what they are doing and therefore do a better job.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: