View Single Post
Old 26-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #315
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

It's that time of the year when the deciduous Magnolia's are bursting into action

While there are a number of beautiful Magnolia's, my favorite is the most common, Magnolia Soulangeana or Saucer Magnolia. Good luck attempting to pronounce that, for those who want to try, it's Soul - lan - ge - ana.

My Grandmother had a old and established specimen in her back garden, when I see these flowering they always remind me of her and the garden I grew up in. I do seem to remember my Grandfather and Uncle being less enthused by the mess these trees make.

Deciduous Magnolia's are known to be very, very slow growing, eventually getting to about 7 metres. A very old and experienced English gardener once told me to never let these trees rest, plant them with plenty of rich compost and feed heavily in spring to keep them moving. They also like some shelter form hot summer winds. You will often see these trees in older estates, planted decades ago and still trucking along.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: