View Single Post
Old 20-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #33
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: The Hippie Merry-go-Round

Ok for the sake of the argument I will out myself as a hippy from the early 70’s. I don’t think I ever I met the drug taking criteria but people called me a “hippie” at the time because I drove a mini-moke, hung out with girls that liked to wear flowers in their hair, had very long hair and went to outdoor rock concerts and cared about the environment. I guess that I ended up as both a FCPA and an economist might appear a bit conservative an image for some people's perception of what a hippy is meant to be though.

Quote:
Hippies push for the "recycling" of glass. Companies have to install glass crushers, bag up the glass, and pay for it to be trucked to Perth. Where it is dumped into landfill because we nolonger recycle glass in Perth.
No, it’s because we recall a time when most drink containers were made of glass, empties were collected by bottelos and ACL Glass recycled the used bottles at their Canning Vale glass manufacturer plant. And if the market forces of supply and demand start working in the longer we may return to similar arrangements.

Quote:
They successfully block the building of new paper-millls in Tasmania. So instead the wood chips are loaded on oil-burning ships and taken to China, where the paper is produced in filthy unregulated mills, and then loaded onto more oil-burning ships and sent back to us.
I visited the old paper pulp plant in Burnie Tasmania in the 1980’s when the were still pouring their untreated chlorine waste into the Southern Ocean as well as pouring smoke into the air; they were certainly not clean. It and the neighbouring pigment producer Tioxide and North West Acid earned Bernie the reputation as Tasmania’s if not Australia’s dirtiest town (see https://www.ourtasmania.com.au/north...e-history.html etc) . The Tioxide Australia paint pigment factory at the Blythe River, known locally as the Titan, produced titanium dioxide, an intense whitening compound used in paints, plastics and more. Part of the process produced iron salts effluent - ferro-sulphates - which were pumped out to sea, colouring the sea rust-red for several kilometres east and west of the factory (again https://www.ourtasmania.com.au/north...e-history.html ) In any event wherever they are sited there is little argument about the pollution from tradition paper pulp mills (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...ulping_process etc).

Quote:
Their complaints against glass and plastic in landfills, is based on their belief that these substances never break-down. (Which means they would be perfectly safe in landfills) Instead, waste plastic is exported to Asia, where it is mostly burnt as fuel.
This is an unfounded assertion. We all know that certain plastic break down and glass can be eroded.
Quote:
LPG & LNG are much cleaner and have lower carbon emissions than coal, oil, petrol, but the Hippies don't care.
Not even true, as while Gas has lower CO2 emissions than black coal when burned for electricity, LNG developments also leak methane, which is a relatively short-lived gas that lasts in the atmosphere about 12 years but still has a warming power about 28 times greater than the same amount of CO2 when calculated over a century (see https://www.theguardian.com/environm...l-experts-warn)

Quote:
Hippies are fundamentally useless people. They don't want to work or contribute, yet unlike your typical bludger, they are obsessed with their own importance, the need to be "meaningful", and their desire to control others. So they set themselves up to become "environmental experts", activists, and "influencers."
Well this hippy and all his colleagues he knows worked full time for some 50 years. At the same time this hippy did his leaving, matriculation and two University degrees as a night school student at the same time; hardly fits your description of an idle and useless person I wouldn't think.

Quote:
So whilst young people, and those with poor memories, may think that current trends portend the future, they don't.
Instead the Hippies ride a never-ending Merry-go-Round, with their gormless devotees running around in circles after them.
I actually don’t think you have been around long enough to have a relevant memory span so I will overlook these silly unfounded assertions.

Quote:
When I was a kid, it was all about "Saving the Whales" and the impending "Nuclear Holocaust". Now, nobody gives a **** about the whales, and the Hippies are in FAVOUR of Nuclear Power.
Back in the 80's the Hippies had a major victory, stopping the construction of Hydro-Power on the Franklin river. Now they're in favour of hydro because it is supposedly "zero emission."
Generlisations that are untrue for me and many other “hippies”. I still care about whales and have concerns about nuclear energy and some hydro schemes.

Quote:
Back in the 60's and 70's, Hippies applauded the switch from Timber fences to Asbestos, because it saved the trees. Asbestos Roofing became very popular with the Hippie Elite, as an alternative to the "antiquated" roofing tiles. (Whitlam built an entire University here with Asbestos roofs.)
Complete BS; find me even one article for hippies advocating for asbestos fences. And Whitlam didn't build any WA Universities.

Quote:
A large reason that the use of plastic replaced paper, glass, and steel, was because the Hippies believed it was easier to recycle.
Again complete BS find me any articles showing hippies promoting plastic to replace paper, galss and steel.

Quote:
For a while there, everyone was all hot for "Global Warming," until they figured out that not only was their science bogus, but that atmospheric warming was both imaginary and irrelevant. So now it's all about "Climate Change."
And whilst they're still beating us over the head with "Carbon Emissions" they've also decided that anything else they don't like is also causing the problem.
Global warming and climate change are linked (see the references in my previous response).

Quote:
Diesels were previously beloved by the Hippies thanks to their better economy. But guess what, once diesels became common (could even get a diesel Fiesta) the Hippies suddenly decided they were evil.
Again complete BS; I have never been a diesel fan and you won’t find any evidence of hippies advocating for them’ don’t confuse the recycled cooking oil nuts with hippies.

Quote:
Lithium has never had substantial industrial use, because it is relatively rare, and therefore completely uneconomical to mine. Now we're expending huge amounts of energy and chemicals to mine and process basically worthless rock, to extract low grades of Lithium, because the Hippies have decided that battery powered cars (powered by Brown Coal) is the way of the future.
It would be interesting to see the demographics; I suspect more yuppies than hippies use battery powered vehicles. EDIT: OK I forgot; many of us old hippies are now battery powered gopher users.

Quote:
They've conned the government into bribing the masses into covering their houses in unviable solar-cells. Where will their attention turn when every house is covered in this worthless crap?
Hippies however you want to define them were always a minority and most of them (noting it was a 60’s thing mostly) are now dead or a part of a very small number of aged people and often ailing; hardly a big influence on Government (otherwise how did nursing homes get to be so mismanaged?)and certainly no contest compared to the Murdoch media force.

OK I've had my rant so I am off to find where I stored my old hippy beads and flowery hat and then meditate a while. Too late for me to regrow my long hair though. I was probably just a fake hippy anyhow attracted by the free love concept of the pretty girls with flowers in their hair and the low entry price of a new Mini Moke as a first new car.

Last edited by aussiblue; 20-07-2021 at 02:28 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote
9 users like this post: