View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 05:44 AM   #1400
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Anyone noticed their kids demeanor change all of a sudden for no apparent reason?

We were watching TV the other night, it was a good show.

Son's face changed really weird after he looked on his phone, it was like a curtain dropped in front of him.

Turns out someone had said something on some stupid social media site about him that upset him.

It peaves me off that idiots have direct access to our lounge rooms....24/7.

what to do?

How old are they? Are they at an age where its not creepy for you to ask whats ticking them off, or even to monitor what they do (e.g. befriend them on FB so you can see whats being said)? Do you know which social media platform it is?

I don't have kids, but its one of my biggest concerns with my nephew and niece. Have heard too many horrid stories of how wrong it can go if left unchecked. Trouble is, you can't see what is actually going on. I always joke with them that if anyone tries to bully them, then call on me, and I'll sort it out More of an external reassurance thing. Does it work? Not sure. My sis limits their electronic time also.

Having a good circle of friends outside can provide reassurance for them, so definitely encourage that. But if it is that same circle of "friends" causing it, then its a problem. You then need to change their environment....new hobbies.....new friends.

Trouble is, it may not be something said at all. Psychologists have found that something as silly as not getting "likes" can have a huge emotional impact on some people. Apparently getting "likes" gives some people a hit similar to cocaine....jeepers. So imagine the opposite...not that I would know the feeling.

Its a difficult problem to solve, but I think having a good circle of friends outside is the key. BTW this doesn't just happen to kids. I notice it with my dad, I can tell when he has has a bit of a biff with his whatsapp group. The behaviour just changes instantly. Sometimes even I get a bit peeved at certain things said, but then I turn around, show my mates what some old git on the internet said, we have a laugh and move on.

Its good that you have noticed it and started to ask questions. That is a start! My nephew's school actually ran a training course for them on how to deal with social media, he is under 10, if they are in the same age group I can find out the course and pass it on. It was actually quite funny but had some important lessons.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: