Old 24-04-2021, 07:36 AM   #391
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Australia - China - Poltics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
You can only project so far. I say rip it up and buy it back

I understand our diplomacy has not been great, but just remember that all we asked for was an investigation which the whole world wanted and they chucked a massive dummy spit.

They responded by economic pressure because they didn't like that.
The aggrieved can project as far as they want, whether they get compensated for it or not will likely be a decision for the courts because that is exactly where it would end up, dragging on for years.

I'd like to see it ripped up to, I don't want any part of Australia or Australian business owned by any foreign interests, but as we have proven time after time we will sell anything to anyone for the right price, but just because it doesn't suit us now doesn't mean we can just rip up all the done deals, it's just not that simple and easy.....which is my point

Let's not forget no Federal body has oversight of Australian ports, which are the domain of state and territory governments (since tightened up by the Feds to ensure national security issues are considered).....it was the NT Govt that sold and received (and spent) the payment for the Port Lease, not the Feds.....who would pay it back and with who's money?

Also, albeit with only a 50% stake, the Port of Newcastle is another Australian port that has a 99-year lease with another privately owned Chinese company.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 24-04-2021 at 08:03 AM.
DJR-351 is online now   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: