View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #849
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
We owned a A'Van Cruiseliner, bought it for $29k in 2008, sold it in 2016 for $22.5k, we were pretty happy with that

We loved the A'Van, we lived in it for 3 months on long service leave in 2012 while we traveled down the west coast.

The off-road version wasn't available when we bought ours, I would have bought one for sure as we spend a lot of time in the bush, and I skull-dragged the A'Van through a few dodgy bush spots, we really needed an off-roader

Easy to tow, nice and light, easy to set up, heaps of storage space. But the Minister for War & Finance wanted an ensuite and a north-south bed she could walk around

A'Van has a competitor - Bolwell - https://www.bolwellrv.com.au/ they make cars and started doing campers
Hey Trevor, Thanks for replying.

Good to hear some real world experiences of the Avans. We are still interested in these little units mainly due to the weight, ease of setup and price you can get them for. I definitely do want the Adventure Plus pack if I can. Its a bit of a price jump but I know I do a bit of off road runs so something with some underbody clearance is favorable but not mandatory. The wife is happy to stay at van parks with ensuite sites if they are available. I talked her out of an ensuite mainly due to me not wanting to empty the cassette.

How have did you find the Avan over time Trevor? What was the a/c like on hot days? Did you experience any drafts with the panels in place? Any tips you can recommend looking out for when owning one of the Avans?

As for the Bolwell's. They look a lot better in terms of design. I do like the look of the Edge. It's got that capsule look about it. It has a 1370 tare and 1640kg ATM. It exceeds my weight limits.

Based on a little bit of research, the 'Air' is over my max weight limits too for the car I currently have. I only have a small CUV with a max TBW of 140kg and max towing ATM weight of 1400kg. The 'air' is 140 tbw but the tare is 1370kg which leaves me 30kg of payload.

Sadly, Unrealistic for this little car. Had I bought a 3.6R Outback with a 1800kg ATM I would be more serious about looking into it further. But I am glad there is a genuine competitor for the Avans.

If I can convince the mrs to upgrade car and look at the Bolwell's then I may have a chance. wish me luck!!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 09-11-2020 at 11:31 AM.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote