View Single Post
Old 25-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #156
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

NBN finally available in my area earlier in the year, 3167 15km from Melbourne CBD.

Put it off for as long as possible given; nothing wrong with current connection from Optus, have teacher and student relying on internet for remote learning and have heard many horror stories and problems with NBN connection.

Optus tell me their network will be switched off by the end of September. I weaken and agree to change my service. My next door neighbour has had Optus 5G for home internet for several months but Optus tells me my house does not receive 5G according to their map.

I agreed to connect to the NBN; 'Raj' arrived this afternoon to connect the NBN side. After some discussion; we did not connect the fibre to the curb to a 20+ year old Telstra phone line we have never used, we did not run a conduit down the front of my house and drill a hole through the wall into one of the front bedrooms.

We did run a new copper wire from the pole where the fibre to the curb ended to the front of my house. 'Raj' overcame his initial reluctance and allowed me to pull a wire from the front of my house, inside the roof, to the study in the middle of my house, and connect to an existing copper Cat 5.

As a tradie, I understand if I treat other trades people with respect, offer tea or coffee a couple of times while they are at my home, anything is possible..

New modum connected, at 7.00pm on a Friday on an NBN 50 plan I am currently getting 54mbps.