View Single Post
Old 29-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #236
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Re: KIA - Would you buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Yep. Its the perception that anyone driving an expensive European/German brand is elite/cashed up or well to do. That may have been the way things were in the 90's or early 2000s, but the gap between the makes these days in terms of off as a snob is a lot less.

Ive seen soccer mums rock up in their brand new Mazda CX9's and VW Tiguan's and look down on people driving a "KIA/Hyundai"
Too true !
I only bought the AMG as it was 2.5 years old. No way I could shell out for a brand new one. I certainly appreciate that many so called “lesser” brand new vehicles on the road will cost many thousands more than my purchase. The astute observer will always know real money from a paupers attempt. I’m definitely in the latter category.....

Bottom feeder entry level Euros aren’t and should not be seen as status. Those that think that are kidding themselves. Plenty of good competition from all marques in that segment. I think that’s where marques like KIA and Hyundai are excelling ( hahah ... pun ) and should not be overlooked.

I guess it’s when the likes of KIA and Hyundai purport to compete in the upper bracket is when it gets a bit blurry. It’s never seen as a direct competitor, the premise is that it’s “good value” and almost has the opposite effect. Like when you see a 5 year old A class Merc and think “tosser thinks he’s prestige”
An expensive KIA is like “ you know you really wanted an AUDI or MERC but life hasn’t been kind”

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: