View Single Post
Old 15-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #55
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Manual or Autmatic better and why

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
It's a basic box the BTR 4 speeder but is better in manual mode than a ZF imo. The former ok the latter horribly annoying.
I don’t know how you were using your ZF in manual mode, but I’d guess at “incorrectly”. The ZF holds gears until you change, unless you come to a stop, where they will change to 1 as you go under 20kmh. If you then forget to change gear on take off, it will bounce off the limit, just like a manual, and does it in every gear.

There is also a function for emergency kickdown, so if you’re in manual mode and in say 5th and you for some reason forget and need to get down gears fast, you punch the throttle to the floor and it will then change down, and guess what, it will hold the new gear until you change.

There are protections built into the box to stop you making stupid downshifts (like 1st at 100), but if you give it the command to do so, the box will wait for the car speed to drop sufficiently to select 1st. That is not an error - it protects the box, the engine, and stops the car swapping ends unexpectedly. Of course if that was your goal, then you may think it’s stupid, but then I’d say that sort of driving is stupid.

If your ZF didn’t do these things, then there was a problem with your ZF, but not all ZFs, so your comparison is flawed IMO.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: